In 2011, with just a few hundred dollars we handed out canned goods to families in Batangas. By 2017, we raised US$45,000 and launched our first ever Relief Week, where we gave away goats and chicks to families to raise and build a small backyard business. We expanded The Ernie Deomampo Jr Memorial Scholarship, which is now helping 45 college and university students to stay in school, graduate and find jobs. Our free medical clinics grew to help more than 1,400 patients across Batangas throughout the year.
We cannot carry out our mission without your generous support.
You can rest assured that 100% of your donations go directly to helping the needy. The administrative costs of running the charity are separated out. So if you donate $100 to buy a pig, rest assured that that money buys a pig. It does not pay for petrol, or web design, or t-shirts, or anything else. Similarly, all of those who help with the charity donate their time and pay their own expenses. We do this so that you can know that your donation in full goes directly to helping those in need.
- Our micro-grant program has given away more than 2,000 chicks 110 pigs, and 120 goats. These allow family to start a backyard business and grow it into sustained income for many years to come.
- We have opened The Ernie Deomampo Jr Memorial Scholarship to all students at any college or university in Batangas, Cavite and Paranaque, using an enhanced application and interview process to find the best and brightest with the most need. Already the Scholarship has seen 22 students we supported graduated. Currently, we support 53 across five colleges and universities ranging from first year college students to many who will graduate next April.
- Our focus on education expanded this year as we provided over 300 school uniforms to primary school students and launched our “Groceries for Grades” Program where selected families will receive $20 worth of groceries every month in exchange for their children’s perfect school attendance.
- We continue our free medical clinics that we started in 2016. This year we are on track to treat more than 1000 patients and have expanded to provide eye exams and glasses to more than 200 people in need.
2019: 06 – 12 November
- Medical Care: Relief Week was a huge success. We helped more than 500 patients receive medical care through our free medical clinic. We will be running a second clinic in November, with our amazing team of doctors, dentists, and nurses helping an additional 500 who do not have access to medical care otherwise.
- Eye Care: Our first-ever eye care program provided eye exams and glasses to 135 – some who have needed glasses for a long time but could never afford them.
- Micro-grants: This year, we gave away more than 100 pigs and 1,200 chicks (on top of 1,000 chicks and 120 goats last year). We have watched so many recipients grow these micro-grants into successful revenue generating businesses that have helped them build a better life.
- Spaghetti Dinner: Our annual Relief Week spaghetti dinner was a hit and has continued to help feed those in need and built trust and strengthen relationships with the communities we work with. As always it was a great night of friendship and community building.
What We Donate
Relief Week 2019:
- The Ernie Deomampo Jr Memorial Scholarship: We currently provide scholarships to 21 students (and another 23 already have graduated). So far in 2018, we have received more than 150 applications from students hoping for our support. There is simply so much need and college/university education is the way out of poverty. Our goal is simply to help as many bright and talented students as we can. Scholarships will be awarded during Relief Week 2018!
- School Uniforms: A relatively modest donation can help a family get their kids ready for the school year with new uniforms for fast growing kids.
- Groceries for Grades: This is one of the most exciting initiatives. We have worked with a team of educators at a primary school, representatives from the Department of Social Welfare and Development and are selecting families to receive $20 of groceries each month in exchange for perfect school attendance by their children. A great program that we hope will put kids on a strong path of education and provide assistance to the family at the same time.
How can you help?
If you could also spread the word about what we are doing in the Philippines. We only ask for help once a year! Relief Week is our only chance to raise funds to support all of our programs. If a friend or family member would also support us, we could positively impact so many more people in need in the Philippines. Thank you!
In order to grow the Scholarship this way and to protect your investment, we have greatly increased our evaluation of applicants. It now includes, home visits, student and family interviews, meeting with school officials, review of transcripts, and a more detailed application with essay questions. The Scholarship Selection Committee is made up of both local volunteers and independent professionals from the United Kingdom, Singapore, the USA and Australia. We have a focus on ensuring that those we support will graduate, find the right job, and be able to give back. We ask each scholarship recipient to contribute 50% of what they received back to the charity within five years of graduating.
If you wish to sponsor a particular student, please email us at email@example.com and we will work with you to identify an applicant whose unique circumstances – financial need, academic interests, career goals, may cause you to focus your scholarship donation on to that particular student.
The Ernie Deomampo Charitable Trust
For USA tax residents:
Relief Brigade Inc is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit corporation, incorporated under the laws of Delaware. Your donations are tax deductible.
For Australian tax residents and others:
The Ernie Deomampo Charitable Trust, ABN 68 549 581 766, is a Registered Charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission. Unfortunately, at this time donations to the Ernie Deomampo Charitable Trust are not tax deductible.
If you purchase an item in our Relief Mart or otherwise donate to The Ernie Deomampo Charitable Trust or Relief Brigade Inc, you consent to the use of your name appearing on this website and social media, including but not limited to Facebook and Instagram, whether in writing or in pictures/digital images. Should you wish not to have your name used in this way please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2019 The Ernie Deomampo Charitable Trust. All Rights Reserved.